Paediatric Strengthening Exercises Physiotherapy Service
Pediatric physiotherapy service is designed to meet the individual needs of your child. Muscle weakness in children can be caused through a number of disorders and strengthening exercises can be used to help overcome this.
We have to understand and factor in the complex nature of the development process and will produce exercises to directly meet their individual needs.
What are Strengthening Exercises?
Strengthening exercises are activities which are designed to increase the muscle bulk of certain areas of the body and aim to increasing the power which a muscle can produce.
The most common form of strength training is resistance exercise.
Resistance exercises make use of opposing forces to increase the work load that muscles need to overcome to move the part of the body. Examples of resistance exercises include:
- Weight training
Who benefits from Pediatric Strengthening Exercises?
Many children may benefit from strengthening exercises.
However it is important that children have specific supervision and guidance before starting a strengthening program so as to not cause any damage to them.
Some of the key conditions which can benefit from strengthening exercises are listed below.
- Development delay
- Gait Problems
- Back Pain
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Respiratory Conditions
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Knee Pain
What do Pediatric Strengthening Exercises involve?
Strengthening exercises involve working specific muscles against an opposing force.
The working muscles have to overcome this force before they can produce movement. By progressively increasing the force over time (e.g. increasing weight or exercise theraband resistance) the muscles start to adapt and increase in size.
This increase in muscle size (muscle hypertrophy) increases the amount of power the muscle can produce and this is an increase in strength.
Some of the key types of physiotherapy which is involved in strengthening exercises are listed below.
- Exercise Programmes
- Post-Surgical Rehabilitation
- Sports Injury Rehab
- Mobility Rehab
- Neurological Physiotherapy
- Fracture Treatment
- Postural Realignment
- Gait Re-education
- Transfer Rehab
What are the advantages of Strengthening Exercises?
There are many advantages of strengthening exercises.
The advantages will depend upon the specific needs of your child as to what they will gain from them. Some of the key advantages are listed below.
- Increased strength
- Increased independence
- Better posture
- Increase aerobic capacity
- Return to sports sooner
- Increased expectoration
- Increased work capacity
- Decreased need for carers
- Better gait
- Faster recovery from surgery
- Return to school sooner
- Increased quality of life
Nigel is a principal hand therapist practicing since 2005; and Louise is a principal physiotherapist practicing since 2006…and we’re really interested in treating orthopedic and sports injuries and condition, and treating pain for good.
Orthopedic and sports injuries and conditions refer to painful issues to one’s
- bones, muscles, joints, nerves, tendons and ligaments
- ie neck, back, hip, knee, calf, ankle, foot, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand and fingers
Where To Next
- Go to Home / Start
- Learn and find out more about your orthopedic / sports pains (bones, muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, nerves etc) at Pain Conditions & Injuries
- Explore pain relief physiotherapy treatments as well as pain relief products & solutions
- Ask our physiotherapist and hand therapist questions about your specific pain.
- Read our latest articles at our blog
- Contact us to suggest topics / pain relief products for us to review; for media inquiries or even to say hi (we'd love to receive mail thanking us for helping with pain relief).